Advertisement:

MTN Nigeria Shoots Group’s Earnings to R114.7 billion

Discussion in 'News in Nigeria' started by duwdu, Mar 10, 2011.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

• GL Legend
    • Guru Member

duwdu old 'n' slow... :)

Message Count:
    Sponsored Links:
    MTN Nigeria Shoots Group’s Earnings to R114.7 billion

A news item by Efem Nkanga in ThisDay Live of today, 10th March, 2011, reported as follows and I quote partially:

"MTN Nigeria has emerged the best operational unit of the MTN Group capturing more than 60 per cent of the subscribers added by the market in Nigeria in 2010. This also positively impacted on the group’s 23 per cent increase in earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation (EBITDA) for the year under review.

MTN’s Group President and CEO, Mr. Phuthuma Nhleko, said the company’s operations in Nigeria contributed positively to the R114.7 billion the group generated in the course of its business last year. He said this was 2.5 per cent higher than the previous year’s earnings as 68 per cent of the group's revenue was generated in currencies other than the rand.

Nhleko disclosed that the naira revenue of MTN Nigeria grew by 16 per cent mainly as a result of increased airtime
    and subscription revenue (up 19 per cent), which was partially offset by lower interconnect revenue.

He added that inter-connect revenue decreased by 25 per cent following the introduction of lower mobile termination rates at the end of the previous year by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC).

Nhlekho said data and SMS revenue increased, though average revenue per user (ARPU) declined by 10 per cent in local currency and 11 per cent in dollar terms to US$11, in line with penetration into lower-usage segments of the market. According to him, mobile penetration in Nigeria increased by 7 percentage points to 49 per cent during the year, while MTN Nigeria's EBITDA margin increased by 3.7 percentage points to 62.9 per cent as at 31 December 2010."

End of partial but contiguous quote.

I am making a thread out of this news item because, whether it is realized and acknowledged or not, FBT should get some of the legitimate credit for helping to grow the MTN brand name and market in Naija! Why, did I hear some say?

Well, We should note the following facts:

1. Existing Gurus are getting more lines (sim cards) and/or replacing dead ones on account of fbt;

2. Forums such as this are attracting new converts/recruits everyday who in turn buy new or more MTN lines for FBT, or to be able to turn themselves into Gurus as well; this perpetuates the cycle and grows the MTN brand;

3. Inadvertently, people use some of these new lines to make calls anyways, thus generating new revenue for MTN; other operators do not have this luxury;

4. Most use FBT's for ordinary browsing only, which costs MTN just pittance, because it (Free Browsing) in itself does not involve much GPRS data; and

5. Even those relatively select few who use FBT's for heavy downloading of data cut into a rather negligible portion of what accrues to MTN as revenue from data services.

My main point in all of this is that the FBT crowd and our Gurus should not have any sense that MTN is being deprived of revenue in any way through FBT activities. In fact, all should be rest-assured that MTN is being helped and promoted, as the subject news item proves. And so our Gurus should please ensure that FBT gets - very early - the benefits of MTN's 4G services as and when it takes off in Naija!

Just my two cents.

What do you guys think?

You can read the totality of the news item here: http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/mtn ... ion/87591/

P34c3
    • GL Legend
    • Guru Member

mikebat07943 GL Legend

Message Count:
    Gooooo Fbtttttt
    • GL Legend
    • Guru Member

Xplora GL Legend

Message Count:

o ooooooooooo!!! ok FREE CALL and FREE TEXT as well will earn them revenue abi?? Lets see. 8)

Its a matter of time - My Exploits will be released -
    • GL Legend
    • Guru Member

ALEX_GURU GL Legend

Message Count:
    MEN MTN HAS REALLY MADE A LOT OF DOH MEN,SO GURUS LET JOIN HANDS AND DESTROY THEIR SERVER LOL :p :p :p :p :p :p :p
    • GL Legend
    • Guru Member

Xplora GL Legend

Message Count:
    leave them they will soon change their mouth
    • GL Legend
    • Guru Member

Message Count:
    Well said Mike.  :D

P34c3
    • GL Legend
    • Guru Member

Message Count:
    We look up to you xpert Gurus O Xplora, thanks & more grease.  ;D :D ;) :)

P34c3

Babeluv Upcoming Guru

Message Count:
    Current Phone:
    Blackberry
    Mtn has made it...
    • GL Legend
    • Guru Member

mikebat07943 GL Legend

Message Count:
    Xplora, Release ur exploits Abegg ooo
    • GL Legend
    • Guru Member

Message Count:
    Fair enough Alex, although I'd say let's exploit to the fullest (not necessarily destroy) their servers.  >:(

P34c3
    • GL Legend
    • Guru Member

Xplora GL Legend

Message Count:
    if everybody uses it just as fbt is been used then mnt will start arresting guru's so make una relax - dwudu seems u are an agent
    • GL Legend
    • Guru Member

mikebat07943 GL Legend

Message Count:
    Honestly im a Contempt guy...Im ok with just fbt lololol
    • GL Legend
    • Guru Member

Xplora GL Legend

Message Count:

lol the guy confess :p :p :p :p
    • GL Legend
    • Guru Member

mikebat07943 GL Legend

Message Count:
    • GL Legend
    • Guru Member

Message Count:
    Xplora, you make me laugh... I presume you're one of the more seasoned guys here (judging from ur # of posts,) so I won't expect u to reason like that O. I can't b an agent partly 'cos I'm a veteran fbt user too, so u relax.

The point really is that the number of us who know how to exploit technology issues, even on this site, is very, very small, in fact negligible (as one can deduce from the quality of most of the posts on 9ja forums) compared to the number of paying customers that mtn is exploiting in order to make the obnoxious profits in 9ja they're forced by law to reveal; so honestly I don't think they have the stomach or the time to start running after small fish like us in a country such as 9ja, where u'll b lucky to be able to even have or locate an address!

Fundamentally though, I honestly don't think mtn can, or is about to change the basic setup (the home page) that, IMHO, is making the concept of fbt successful one way or another.

So relax, and let us enjoy this fbt theater while it lasts, hopefully beyond 4G...

P34c3
    • GL Legend
    • Guru Member

Xplora GL Legend

Message Count:
    hmmmmm i see, so what you are saying is that ........ hmmmm ok if that be the case !!! We shall see.... ;)

MTN
    • GL Legend
    • Guru Member

mikebat07943 GL Legend

Message Count:
    With all these profits, mtn should go 4g like now..lol
    • GL Legend
    • Guru Member

Message Count:
    Hmm... na so o; we go dey wait for even more and better solutions by you our real Gurus to enhance our fbt experience o. More grease.

P34c3
    • GL Legend
    • Guru Member

Message Count:
    True talk mike; let's hope they're not siphoning the lion share of their jumbo profits to SA o.

P34c3

L0rdZ0uga® Member

Message Count:
    no need to stop den

tucoâ„¢ Member

Message Count:
    daaaaaaannnng
    • GL Legend
    • Guru Member

Xplora GL Legend

Message Count:

and who is stopping.......?