PDP has never won election in South West – Otunba Adebayo

Discussion in 'DELETED POSTS' started by Al3ksA, Nov 3, 2010.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

• GL Legend
    • Guru Member
    • Retired Moderator

Al3ksA Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    PDP has never won election in South West – Otunba Adebayo
    Politics Nov 2, 2010

The first civilian Governor of Ekiti State, Otunba Niyi Adebayo, rarely grants interviews as he commits much of his time to his law practice.

When he agreed to speak to Vanguard’s HUGO ODIOGOR on the politics of his state, the resurgence of the ACN in South West and the hurdles before President Goodluck Jonathan in 2011 elections, it was in few direct and articulate words, that sums up his background as man born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Read Excerpts.

SINCE you left office as the governor of Ekiti State in 2003, you seem to have alienated yourself from politics at both state and national levels, are you disillusioned with the state of affairs in the country?

It is not absolutely correct to say that I insulated myself from politics because I have been heavily involved in politics at the state and national level but I have played more of a background role. I believe that when you put somebody forward to contest for an office, that person becomes the face and voice of that effort, all you do is to rally round him.

Otunba Niyi Adebayo...not prepared to compromise

That is exactly what I have done at the state level. I stayed in the background allowing Dr. Fayemi to be the face of the party in the state and today, with the victory in the election, he is now the leader of the party in the state, while I will now fade into the background as one of his faithful followers.

Victory in Ilorin

At the national level, I have been involved in the various aspect of the party activities especially, in the negotiations that led to the merger between AC and Democratic People’s Party and the other parties with a view to seeing that we that we perform better in the next general election.

How did you feel when the Court in Ilorin declared Dr. Kayode Fayemi the winner of the Ekiti state re-run election?

My first reaction was that of happiness and joy because I feel from the onset that Fayemi won the election on both occasions but he was cheated out of the victory. With the pronouncement of victory in Illorin we have a situation where we have been vindicated and he will finally have the opportunity to put into practice those things which he promised the people of Ekiti State

What challenges are likely to confront the new governor as he tries to put in place a new cabinet?

Well, in the first place he has been around for three and half years to know who to listen to and who not to listen to. Unfortunately for him in terms of development he will have to start from where I left off. Since I left office, I have been round Ekiti State on several occasions.

I was the first civilian governor and we tried to lay the foundation for the governments that will come after us to build on.

Unfortunately, those who came after us have not performed effectively. They have not built on that foundation. If you go round the state you will find that the subsequent administrations have done all sorts of things, built roads but look at the state of the roads, that they built today, you will be amazed that all the roads have virtually disappeared.

In fact the only existing road is the Oye-Ayede road which was the one I built. All the other roads are in a state of disrepair. So, Fayemi is going to start from where I stopped but he has  an opportunity to build on what was there, he has started well and he fully understands the problems of the state and I have no doubt that he will succeed.

What about the interest groups?

That is normal in a democracy, but the good thing is that he had three and half years since his election to study the situation. That has put him in a good stead to know who he should listen to and who he should not.

What are those factors that could either advance or stymie the progress of the new administration?

Well in the first place he has identified the people who would work with him and I have no doubt that the time the cabinet is announced, people will realise that it is composed of people who are prepared to work.

Would you say that with the victory of Dr. Fayemi in Ekiti State the ACN is on ascendency and political resurgence in the South west and beyond?

If you see the out pouring of happiness and joy in the whole of Ekiti State and the South west, when Dr. Fayemi was pronounced the winner by the Appeal Court in Illorin, you will realise that our people have been suffering under a government that was forced upon them by the apostles of “do or dieâ€
    • GL Legend
    • Guru Member
    • Retired Moderator

Al3ksA Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    It's true they have never won an election in S/W and some other parts of the country. They've always rigged their way through. I believe this trend may continues, unless God himself intervenes. PDP (PEOPLE DESTROYING PARTY) ;D ;D ;D