Advertisement:

Swedish Citizens Manage Country's Twitter Account

Discussion in 'News in Nigeria' started by Dmedal!on, Dec 30, 2011.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

• Super Moderator
    • GL Senior Member
    • GL Legend
    • Guru Member

Dmedal!on Super Moderator

Message Count:
    Current Phone:
    Samsung GT-S7562 / PMP-Ultra ROM + Speed Demon
    Sponsored Links:
    [img width=450 height=300]http://www.mobiledia.com/news/images/122040-1.jpg[/img]
    • Super Moderator
    • GL Senior Member
    • GL Legend
    • Guru Member

Message Count:
    Current Phone:

The Swedish people have taken over the @Sweden Twitter account with the blessing of the government, giving a "man on the street" perspective on the nation of nine million.
    • Super Moderator
    • GL Senior Member
    • GL Legend
    • Guru Member

Message Count:
    Current Phone:
    "No one owns the brand of Sweden more than its people. With this initiative we let them show their Sweden to the world," says Thomas Brühl, CEO of VisitSweden. The tourism ministry decided that no single voice can represent the country and that a slew of guest correspondents would better reflect the nation's character.

Jack Wermer, a writer and marketer who started his stint earlier this month, is the first to tweet in the pilot program, posting, "I've always enjoyed to show tourists my Sweden and to be able to do it on Twitter feels like a fun and natural step."

The selected curators were chosen to represent the country's values and skills, such as gay rights, fashion, design and innovation, and will take the helm in the coming weeks. Examples of those on deck to chat about places to see and share diverse opinions include an ad agency founder who owns a farm, a suburban writer, a priest, a teacher and a coffee-drinking lesbian trucker.

This initiative is expected to drive tourism by highlighting what the locals are into and using social media to do so. The idea builds on a slew of new travel apps that do much the same thing, following the philosophy of "Who better to recommend trendy hotspots and off-the-beaten-path restaurants than the locals who know and live there?"

Still, when a platform is democratized, there is bound to be some unintentional fallout. Reportedly, the country's twitter-in-chief has tweeted some mundane, controversial and even vulgar postings, like "I got so nervous that I had to take a crap... It's all better now...."

The program may be tweaked in coming weeks to include some ground rules, but for now, those interested in can check it out to see what all the fuss is about. Welcome to Sweden.