Why Didn’t Odumegwu Ojukwu Commit Suicide?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by ItuExchange, Dec 11, 2016.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

• GL Legend
    • Guru Member

ItuExchange GL Legend

Message Count:
    Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu (4 November 1933 – 26 November 2011, was a Nigerian military officer and politician who served as the military governor of the Eastern Region of Nigeria in 1966 and the leader of the breakaway Republic of Biafra from 1967 to 1970. He was active as a politician from 1983 to 2011, when he died aged 78. – Wikipedia

The above is a short biography of Ojuwku, somebody I respect.

Recently, someone telephoned on a TVC program, saying that Ojukwu should have committed suicide after he saw that he couldn’t win the Biafra War.

The caller cited that Adolf Hitler committed suicide when it was clear that his cause had been lost. Even in Yorubaland of old, kings and military generals often committed suicide once they were in shame (to save their faces), or when they couldn’t win a war – that was manly.

The caller continued that, Ojukwu wasted lives of millions of Biafrans in a war that was illogical, and yet, he fled for his own life. If he was truly a hero, he should have committed suicide.

The purpose of this article was to refute the caller’s claim. First, the Nigerian Civil War was almost inevitable when it happened. Second, Hitler was fighting the World War II, not a civil war.

I’m not Igbo, but I know that some countries recognize Biafra as a nation, and again, it was a civil war, so he could escape and seek asylum somewhere.

But Hitler was fighting against the world. His ally, Mussolini of Italy had been overthrown and killed. Japan also was engaged in a war of survival and the US and some other counties were still fresh and energetic. Where could Hitler run to? Nowhere!

He’d made himself an asshole to all countries. Idi Amin could run away. Nkrumah could run away. But Hitler couldn’t run away. He’d simply be captured and killed, after much ignominious treatment, and the only option for him was to commit suicide.

Ojukwu was fighting against Nigeria only, not against the whole world, so he could seek asylum somewhere else?

I hope the caller understand. Or if he found himself in Ojukwu’s shoes, would he kill himself?

Neteller here: www.ituglobalfx.com.ng